Monday, April 26, 2010

Commuters unwilling to pay unless system improves

Sunday April 25, 2010

The Star Online

FOR those working in the KL city centre, Area Congestion Pricing (ACP) is not something they are looking forward to, but some accept that it can be an effective measure. While people understand the need for a congestion toll, most are unwilling to accept it at the moment.

“I agree that traffic problems need to be addressed but I do not think ACP will be a solution until public transportation improves,” says financial advisor C.W. Ting* who is willing to pay an ACP charge, provided it costs the same as his fare.

K Nasir* reservedly agrees to the idea, but believes a combination of measures is needed to control traffic.

“I will be more motivated to car pool, but there will be days when I will still drive,” he says.

However, Hwei Min* who commutes from Subang Jaya to KLCC is against the idea of ACP as she has no choice but to drive to work every day.

“There is no Light Rail Transit (LRT) in Subang Jaya and I would have to drive to Kelana Jaya, which takes me more than half an hour. Then I would have to wait for three or four trains before boarding.

“I would probably have wasted at least one and a half hours using the LRT as opposed to driving, which takes me about 45 minutes,” says Min, adding that public transport in KL is a nightmare.

Danny Lok, 36, a frequent commuter on the LRT, has had many bad experiences due to breakdowns.

“The worst part is there is no continuity plan. They should advise or provide alternative transport to their desired station. They don’t communicate information to commuters either.”

* Full/actual names withheld on request

No comments:

Need transport to Balik Kampung? Find a ride here
t
t